General Guidelines for Practice
These are the general guidelines for practice I’ve used and taught over the years:
- Body Alignment Do not lock out joints or over-tense any area of the body (KNEES BENT!); relax shoulders
- Keep eyes relaxed (opened or closed, depending on practice) — not intensely focused or staring
- Keep spine as straight as possible (bent knees / tilted pelvis)
- Head should be in line with spine — not dropped or stretched upward
- Breathing Lower abdomen should expand / contract with breath — focus on area just below navel.
- Inhale generally corresponds to inward (pulling) and upward movements; Exhale to outward (pushing) and downward.
- Image breath centering and moving as necessary
- Stop practice if there is any unusual discomfort